Skip to content

FAQs: Lifestyle and Health

1. Where can I live abroad?
Unless the program you are applying for states that housing is included, students will be responsible for researching and arranging their own accommodations while abroad.

2. Will I need to learn a new language?
If you are studying in a country where the common language is not English, you will be required to demonstrate some level of proficiency to ensure you are able to communicate to understand course content and communicate in your day-to-day activities.

3. Are there opportunities to study or intern while abroad?
For information on a potential intern and career opportunities while abroad, contact the
Center for Career and Professional Development for assistance.

4. How can I communicate with my family or student while abroad?
It is recommended that you download an app on your phone to communicate while abroad. Free apps that students have used for SMS and MMS include WhatsApp and WeChat. More information can be found on our
For Families page. We also recommend acquiring a local SIM card for students who are abroad. 

5. I already have health/travel insurance. Why do I have to enroll with GeoBlue?
This a mandatory policy of Pratt Institute; no exceptions will be made. Pratt students are required to enroll in health insurance through
GeoBlue for the duration of their time abroad. Regardless of any health insurance students may already have for the states or abroad, GeoBlue must be used by Pratt students participating in programs facilitated by the institution.

6. How do I take care of my mental health while abroad?
Being in a new place can be disorienting and you may not have access to resources you are accustomed to. We recommend looking into the available resources provided by your host institution and country, including information on any prescriptions, counseling services, or local communities that can act as support systems. 

7. Do I need a passport and/or visa?
Students must obtain a valid passport prior to departure. A visa is not required of United States citizens in most cases during short-term stays (less than 90 days), but depending on your citizenship and the region to which you are traveling, you may be required to obtain one. Refer to the link below for more information on visa guidelines and requirements.

US Department of State

8. I’m going to be abroad during an election, but I still need to vote. Can I vote while abroad?
Yes! All students are encouraged to apply for an absentee ballot if they will be away from their voting residence during an election cycle. Students at Pratt can also choose to do this. For information about how to vote absentee,
follow this link.

9. Is there a way that I can share the photos that I take during my semester abroad?
The Study Abroad Department is always interested to learn about the experience you have abroad and welcomes students to share photos via email (

These photos will be considered for use on the Terra Dotta and Pratt websites; any student who does not wish to share their photos online should email to inform us of this preference.