Skip to content

What to Bring

Passports and Visas
All students who travel internationally must have a passport. We also recommend taking two copies of your passport with you in case of it being lost or stolen. 

If your country requires you to have a visa for a long-term stay, apply no more than 3 months in advance and avoid last-minute complications. Follow this link for information about Visas and what you need to apply. Visas may be required for students before traveling to Denmark, France, Korea, Sweden, Japan, Italy, and Australia. Temporary residency applications may be required for students once arriving in Germany and the Netherlands.

Copies of Travel Documents
Along with your originals, bring a copy of all travel documents and leave copies of your travel documents with a contact in the U.S. and abroad. Remember to keep copies in a safe place, separate from where you keep your original documents.

Travel Insurance
You will need to apply for travel insurance before you study abroad. Pratt students are required to enroll in health insurance through GeoBlue for the duration of their time abroad. Regardless of any health insurance students may already have for the states or abroad, GeoBlue must be used by Pratt students participating in programs facilitated by the institution.

Prescriptions (Translated)
We recommend students to bring a sufficient supply of their typical medications for their time abroad, but if you require prescription medications while abroad, you will very likely need to verify this requirement with a doctor's note. You may need a specially notarized prescription, translated into the host country language if the country does not recognize American prescriptions. 

Confirmation of Good Health
Some countries will require that a health form or letter of good health (confirmation that you are free from certain diseases, etc.) be provided to obtain a visa.

Confirmation of Vaccination
You may also be asked to show proof of having received certain vaccinations such as COVID-19, cholera, yellow fever, etc. to travel abroad.

International Student ID Card
You should consider purchasing an International Student Identity Card (such as ISIC) as these can provide discounts, help verify your travel purposes, and sometimes include a limited amount of insurance and 24-hour assistance. Often cards are sold on campuses. Check with your International Programs office or local student travel agency (like STA Travel). 

You may want to register to vote in U.S. elections while you're abroad. You can obtain absentee ballots abroad through your consulate or embassy. You can also contact your local board of elections officials. Follow this link for information about absentee ballots

Travel Tips
Keep in mind that a power adapter (voltage converter) for your electronics will be needed.  If you are unsure as to which adapter you will need, a universal adapter is recommended for all future travels.